Monday, September 13, 2010

A Moment

Okay, I'm on a roll.

So, a moment in my life.  I'm going to tell this story and none of you will laugh like I did, except for Lisa.

While I was in Hawaii, Lisa and I decided to try out for Grease.  It is my favorite movie and hers, too.  The community theatre was putting it on, so we got the husbands to watch the kids and we practiced our songs and limbered up and went.

We get there to see a bunch of teens auditioning.  Okay, we were young - early twenties, so we weren't that much older than them but we could see that we were maybe not what they were looking for - oh yeah and every single person besides us was Hawaiian.  So, we sing our songs.  I sang "There are worse things I could do" - the one Rizzo sang - love it!!!  I can't remember what Lise sang.

Then they broke us into groups of like, six and the choreographer taught us a dance.  It was fast with lots of spinning, etc.  Lisa and I just looked at each other like deer caught in the headlights.  Holy crap!  There is no way I was going to learn this in five minutes.  We whispered and decided maybe we should sneak out and call it a night but then we decided to JUST DO IT!

Right, so, a couple of groups went and I'm trying to remember every little step as I watch.  Then it's Lisa's turn.  OMG - I can't even begin to tell you what in the world she did.  She started out okay, but then lost her way, so she broke it down like any white girl would do.  I was laughing so hard from behind the curtain that I had tears streaming down my face.  I don't know that I've truly laughed as hard as that before or since then.  Except for talking with her about it afterwards - because, she was laughing just as hard at me from the audience when it was my turn.

So, my group was called.  I knew I couldn't do it, I tried but quickly failed so I took off leaping across the stage - and then leaped back across the stage.  I figured that I didn't want to blend in with all the others, so I might as well stand out.  Most of the audience had their mouths dropped open.  Lisa was crying with laughter and the directors had really confused looks on their faces.  I took my bow and we left.

Several days later, we both got the call.  We had not been cast.  I'm still not sure why.

3 comments:

Kathi said...

I can just picture you leaping across the stage. That is truly a hilarious story. I can't believe I hadn't heard it before. Or if I had, its been a long time ago. I needed that laugh. Its been a crazy day. You must call me later.

Shannon said...

OH MY LORD!!!! I am snorting and crying and laughing my ASS off!!! I can see it now!!! OMG I am laughing SO HARD!!!!

PS ...did I ever mention to you that MATT LOMENICK is a Pastor at the church where my kids go to school??? And he regularly performs at their chapel? And so does his wife... weird, huh? I keep threatening to dig out the pics of him in South Pacific...

Shannon said...

PS I seriously peed my pants.