Monday, September 13, 2010

My Best Friend(s)

Wow, I really stink at this challenge thing.  Way to go with the discipline, Tracy!
I'm way behind and it is going to take me some time to catch up. 

I'm writing today about my best friend(s).  There are several women in my life who are my besties.  I wouldn't be who I am today without their friendship, understanding, prayers and love.

I'm going to start with who I've known the longest and go from there.

My sister Susan.  I've known this girl since the first grade.  We quickly became friends and have stayed the closest of friends since then.  We have so many memories together and such good times.  This woman has been with me every single step of my life and still loves me.  I don't really know why.  When I lost my way for years, she still prayed for me and still loved me and never, ever gave up on me.  I know I caused her pain and I am so sorry for that.  Susan is not my actual sister but my PaPa called her that because we were inseparable growing up.  If I could have asked for a sister, it would have been Susan.  We are also the Dolphin Twins.  We also will have houses next door to each other one day so we can grow old together - rocking in our rocking chairs on the porch (in Florida, of course).  Susan, I can't thank you enough for bringing me to church with you, for showing me that I am a child of God and that He loves me.  Thank you for showing me what it is like to be a woman after God's own heart and for living a life like Christ - He is shown through you for sure.  You are so dear to me, my sister Susan, I love you with everything in me!

Then we have Robin - I've known her since, gosh, I don't know when we met - but we were fast friends as well.  I remember me, Susan, Robin and Wendy going back and forth and changing best friends as only silly school girls will.  Oh the memories of TVR and Focus and all the boys we had crushes on in Youth Group.  Robin and I have kept in touch over the years but it wasn't until about two years ago (ugggh - help me out here, Rob) that we reconnected and have been close ever since.  We have really been able to help each other through some rough spots and have laughed so hard we've cried and cried so hard we couldn't talk.  She also sends me random "happies" in the mail - like clothes for the boys from her hubbies closet and a book and Panera or Dunkin :)  What's not to love about that?  PLUS, we are on a body changing mission.  Robin, I don't know what I would have done without you - especially this past year.  You know what I mean.  I love you.

Then there is the other Susan.  Susan taught my boys in pre-school when we first moved to Memphis.  I thought my sweet little Jake looked so cute in his corduroy overalls at age 3.  She said he couldn't wear them anymore because he couldn't get them off quick enough to go to the bathroom.  Slave driver.  Her boys and my boys became friends and are still best friends to this day.  Susan and I are like oil and water.  Haha!  We often joke that we don't know how we became friends because our beliefs in pretty much every single facet of life are completely opposite.  I'm right wing and she is left wing, etc etc.  I could really go on and on.  The thing is, we love each other in spite of her being wrong about pretty much everything.  I'm so generous like that.  We can spend all day working together and then hours on the phone at night talking about religion, sex or lack there of, and the meaning of life.  One of my favorite Susan memories is having stayed up late playing cards and walking down the beach (after alcohol had been consumed) and pondering how small we really are while looking at the vast expanse of the sky, stars and ocean.  This was at 3am and probably not the smartest time to be walking down the beach but it was still fun.  She has heard it all from me - whether she wants to or not.  She gives good advice and really I don't know what I would have done without her here in Memphis.  It can be a lonely town.  Love you Susan!

And last but certainly not least is my girl Kathi Jo Dorthea.  I do not remember how many years it's been but it's been quite awhile since we met.... through AOL.  But I first met Kathi on a Labor Day weekend when she and her mom drove out for her to audition for AI.  As they were driving, the auditions were cancelled - I can't remember why though.  Bless her heart - she took a 13 hour roadtrip for nothing.... except, we became even closer.  We had a blast in Gatlinburg several years ago... where she almost made me lose my tongue by trying Habinero pepper salsa.  We also found the vibrating footprint or something in the Aquarium.... I loved that!  And how can I forget the Haunted House.... I don't know how I got stuck in the front of the line, but she and the boys managed to push me there.  We had someone try to come between us a couple of years back but what that person didn't understand was that OUR friendship is the real deal.  I didn't need their crap and neither did she.  I can talk to Kathi about anything.  I have a book somewhere of "Kathi-isms" that one day, I should publish - she's so Southern that I just love how she talks.  Kathi - I love you for so many reasons. 

Thank you girls for being so good to me, for listening to me complain, for standing by my side, for praying for me, for advice even when I don't want it, for making me laugh and making my life complete.

1 comment:

Kathi said...

Lord, you make me laugh!
I love you for so many reasons too.