Monday, September 13, 2010

My Beliefs

I grew up in the Episcopal Church as a baby and child.  As I got older, I went with Susan to her church - a Presbytarian church.  It was so much bigger than our humble little St. Faith's and I loved it there.  There youth group was awesome and we had the best time.  It was just what I needed since St. Faith's had about 10 youth... haha.

Here in Memphis, I started out at what we Memphians lovingly call Six Flags over Jesus - or rather Bellevue.  It is more than humongous - I mean, it's like a football stadium - I got lost every Sunday trying to find the kids at Sunday School.  It was just way too big.  Then we went to Hope.  I really liked it there but it too, became like herding cattle.  So we went to a couple of different churches and finally found our niche at Central North.  The boys and I both felt at home, we were so involved.  Then, stuff happened internally and a lot of us left.  We've been searching for a new church home again.  Right now we are back at Hope, but I've been reading these books and the main character is an Episcopal priest, and I realize I'm missing the way the services are run.  I miss kneeling to pray and taking communion every Sunday. 

Okay - that is where I went to church but what do I believe... well, I could recite the Nicene Creed for you but I won't.  I will tell it to you simply.

I believe that the Bible is the written word of God. 
I believe that Jesus is my personal Saviour and that he was born of the virgin Mary, was crucified and was resurrected after 3 days and ascended into heaven.
I believe that in order to get into heaven, you have to ask Jesus into your heart and to have Him forgive your sins.
I believe in the Holy Trinity.

I am by no means perfect and ask for forgiveness daily.  These are my core beliefs.  I try to live by the 10 commandments and all that Jesus taught.  I fail miserably, but I know that I am forgiven.  Christ died to wash away my sins.  How awesome is that?

1 comment:

Kathi said...

Im so happy that we're friends on earth and that one day we're going to be able to hang out everyday chilling with Jesus!